I lost it.
The watch that
you'd given me.
The one whose
heartbeat I could hear
through my pillow
on the silent nights,
away from home,
in an exhausted,
sound-asleep dorm.
I used to keep it there,
under my pillow,
every night, carefully.
And then one morning
I couldn't hear it anymore.
That reassuring ticking.
Someone had stolen it.
That maroon, plastic
piece of my childhood
which I could have wound
tight around my wrist,
even today, like a
borrowed beating heart.
They can't steal though
the eyes that you've given me.
And I'm trying to keep in them
the light alive.
The watch that
you'd given me.
The one whose
heartbeat I could hear
through my pillow
on the silent nights,
away from home,
in an exhausted,
sound-asleep dorm.
I used to keep it there,
under my pillow,
every night, carefully.
And then one morning
I couldn't hear it anymore.
That reassuring ticking.
Someone had stolen it.
That maroon, plastic
piece of my childhood
which I could have wound
tight around my wrist,
even today, like a
borrowed beating heart.
They can't steal though
the eyes that you've given me.
And I'm trying to keep in them
the light alive.
1 comment:
Ticking hearts and ticking watches, often lost once forever.
Post a Comment